Spiritual Warfare – Part 3
If you haven’t yet read Part one of this study, please click here.
THE COMMANDS OF JESUS
Anyone wanting to serve in the army must be prepared to obey the commands of the chief, only those prepared to do this will be chosen for service.
In effect Christians are God’s earthly army.
Let’s look at some of the commands of Jesus and see how obedient we are.
Pray that as you do this you can be honest with yourself and if you are studying this in a group then commit to being honest with each other. We are encouraged to pray for each other in James 5:13-16.
Pray also that the Lord will speak clearly to your hearts as you write and meditate on each of the commands below given to the crowds who came to listen to Jesus on the mountain.
- Matthew 5:16
- Matthew 5:24
- Matthew 5:25
- Matthew 5:34
- Matthew 5:42
- Matthew 5:44
- Matthew 5:48
- Matthew 6:3
- Matthew 6:20
- Matthew 6:33
Do any of these commands really bother you?
Don’t get depressed. Read and remember 1 Thessalonians 5:11 and encourage one another.
Also 2 Corinthians 12:9-11 and acknowledge that His grace is made perfect in our weaknesses.
Matthew 5:19-20 has a scary warning to us, but one we must take seriously as we study the Words of Jesus.
Jesus also gave many other commands, which you may like to study in your group or alone at home. Many of them could well speak into your personal situation at the time of reading.
- Matthew 15:10 Listen & understand
- Matthew 8:3 Be clean
- Matthew 8:22 & Matthew 9:9 Follow Me
- Matthew 10:7 As you go… preach
- Matthew 10:8 Heal
- Matthew 11:28 Come to Me
- Matthew 11:29 Learn from Me
- Matthew 14:16 Give them something to eat
- Matthew 19:14 Let the children come ….
- Matthew 19:21 Go and sell
- Matthew 24:4 Watch out that no-one deceives you
- Matthew 26:41 Watch and pray
- Mark 4:39 Peace, Be still
- John 4:16 Go, call your husband
- John 5:8 Get up, pick up your mat and walk
- John 6:20 Don’t be afraid
- John 7:37 Come to Me and drink
- John 8:11 Go and leave your life of sin
- John 11:44 Take off the grave clothes
- John 12:7 Leave her alone
- John 13:14 Wash one another’s feet
It is in no way suggested that all these commands will be appropriate for your situation, right now, but it is suggested that we as believers need to know them in order to prepare for any and every situation.
Neither is it suggested that the list of commands is complete. You may like to add others as you find them during your personal studies.
Each time we disobey, or fail to obey (yes there is a difference) one of God’s commands, which greatly outnumber Jesus’ commands, we are failing Him, and allowing satan an entry point into our lives.
We cannot treat the subject of Spiritual Warfare lightly, it is a very serious matter, and only those people committed to living their lives according to God’s rules can be fully used by Him.
We must not enter into warfare without first spending time in repentance before God and allowing Him to deal with our disobedience.
Pray now about the commands you find difficult.
Please read page 2 of this part. Thanks.